The Credit Union National Association has issued a risk alert in regards to scams that target victims via text or email messages, appearing to be from state agencies.
Scammers across the country - including New York State - are targeting victims with messages that appear to be from the Department of Motor Vehicles or the Department of Employment Security. The messages typically alert the recipient that there is missing or incorrect information, and instructs them to click on the provided link to a malicious website to update the information.
Credit Union members should consider the following:
- be suspicious of any communication requesting personal information
- delete text messages and emails that are suspicious
- hang up on any calls that ask for a social security number or other personal information
- keep software up to date on phones and other devices
- review and monitor accounts daily and report any discrepancies immediately
Anyone who lives, works, worships, volunteers or goes to school in Oswego County is eligible to join. Once you join, your family members are welcome to join Compass as well. You can also join Compass if you live in the same household as a person who is eligible to become a member.